Friday, November 3, 2017

Farmington names New Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Friday November 3rd at 7:45 PM

The Farmington Falcons will have a new Girls Basketball coach this winter.

The Falcons according to a very accurate source named Laura Guzman their new head coach. This will be the third coach in three seasons for Farmington. She takes over for Kayla Womback whom spent one season as the Falcons head coach.

Farmington went 5-16 last season in the Gold. The Falcons went up to the Blue after the league decided to go three divisions.

Guzman comes to Farmington from Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard where she coached the Pioneers Softball and Basketball teams from 2013-2017. According to the Pioneers website, she was a four-year captain for both Softball and Basketball as a player at Madison Heights Bishop Foley.

Guzman is no stranger to the OAA, she was a coach at Rochester as the Varsity head for Softball and an assistant for Basketball. Guzman as an assistant under coach Adam Sheldon helped turn around the Falcons from a 3-18 team in 2010-2011 to a 12-9 team in the 2012-2013 season.

She was the Softball coach for the Pioneers, it is unknown if Guzman will have any involvement with the program at Farmington.

Guzman’s record at Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard was not the greatest, she had three losing seasons over as Pioneers coach but she will have some talent coming back at Farmington.

The Falcons will add two players from Harrison in Nevada Hargraves and Olivia Perkins after the Hawks weren’t going to field a Girls Basketball team to go along with returning players Makayla Martin and Abbey Smentowski.

Farmington will be an interesting team to keep an eye on in the Blue this season as they have to deal with Avondale and Berkley along with an improving Hazel Park team and you can’t out Oak Park as well. The Falcons will have their hands full once they get into district play as they have North Farmington, Farmington Hills Mercy, Groves, and Southfield Arts and Tech in a district. It won’t be an easy situation to say the least.

Thoughts:

This is an interesting hire that the Falcons hired Guzman as their head coach. I looked at her records in her three years at Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard and it was not good.

Farmington is in an interesting spot. The Falcons will be a team to keep an eye on in the Blue this season. We’ll see what happens.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.