Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Why Novi reminds me of the 2006 Southern California Trojans Football Team.

Written Tuesday August 22nd at 11:55 PM

The Novi Wildcats Girls Volleyball team are the two time defending State Champions. They are sixth in the country and the top team in the State of Michigan. They feature nine seniors including two Big Ten players in Erin O'Leary (Michigan) and Abryanna Cannon (Northwestern.) Novi added two freshman to their program in Rachel Jennings and Gabby Cummings.

They are also well coached by Jennifer Cottrill whom is in her sixth season at Novi.

Everyone I talk to about Novi says there is no one that can beat them, the Wildcats are too good. Novi is the Southern California of College Football.

Sure Novi has some similarities to the Trojans with the glitz of Hollywood with O'Leary being Matt Lienart, Cannon playing the role of Reggie Bush, and even Cottrill playing the roll of Pete Caroll.

Novi has won two State Championships, Southern California won two in 2004 and 2005. However the Trojans quest for a three peat was denied in the Rose Bowl by Texas.

We all know what happened to USC after that Rose Bowl loss.

I'm not sure if the Wildcats could three peat but odds are looking likely they very well could. I think there are teams in the OAA that could give Novi some fits and some that could beat the Wildcats if they play well.


Clarkston

The Wolves gave Novi their only loss last season what makes me believe that coach Kelly Averall-Pinner's team can give the Wildcats problems. They have a Michigan recruit in Abbey Malanowski, Erika Chupunsky, and Kayla Luchenbach. Their young core has to develop if this team has a shot at Novi. It's possible they could give the Wildcats problems but right now, not so much.

Orion

The Dragons remind me of the 2006 Texas Longhorns that beat Southern California. They might be the best team to knock Novi off the mountain, you have to keep an eye on what your team is doing and what the other team is doing. Now they don't match up well based on experience but they do match them well with talent. Orion has  in Wren Macauley, Lauryn Van Loon, Sydney Smith, Paige Briggs, and Danielle Sargent. If Orion plays to what they are capable off then coach Tony Scarvada's team could be the team that could give the Wildcats big time problems.

Bloomfield Hills

The Blackhawks could give the Wildcats problems because of the talent they have now I don't think they matchup well with Novi in an experience standpoint but with Alexa Rousseau, anything is possible.

Stoney Creek

The Cougars have an outside shot but they have to play really well. They have the talent but not sure if coach Ross Talbot's team has the depth to matchup with the Wildcats right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.