Saturday, December 17, 2016

Could Dave Sofran be a fit at Farmington???

Written Saturday December 17th at 10:00 PM
Updated Monday December 19th at 10:52 PM

Well there is a football vacancy in the OAA and a rumored vacancy in the wings. As I was looking at other various newspapers and media outlets around Oakland County. I wonder if Dave Sofran would be interested in taking over at Farmington???

It's possible.

Sofran was fired on Friday from Birmingham Brother Rice after spending three seasons as Warriors head coach taking over for legendary coach Al Fracassa. He had a 2-7 season in 2015 but managed to get Birmingham Brother Rice to the playoffs with a 7-4 record, losing to Groves in the district finals 24-0 last season. Sofran spent 14 years as an assistant (21 years overall as a player and coach) winning three state championships while at Birmingham Brother Rice.

Farmington's then coach John Bechtel retired from coaching the Falcons last week after a rough 2-7 year last season.

Sofran is the associate athletic director at Birmingham Brother Rice and will finish the year in that role. However there is little doubt that he would be back after Warriors officials relieved him of his football coaching duties.

It was a big shock  that Birmingham Brother Rice decided to go a different direction with it's football program and according to MIPrepZone and State Champs beat writer Scott Bernstein, there was an anti-Al population among the Warriors community, which is shocking to say that there were people that were against Fracassa at Birmingham Brother Rice.

In July, there was a new administration that came to Birmingham Brother Rice from Tampa Catholic in Florida.

It was clear that politics played a huge role in Sofran's firing.

It is unknown who will replace Sofran as head coach at Birmingham Brother Rice but rumors are going around that the Warriors are strongly interested in hiring Chippewa Valley coach and Birmingham Brother Rice alum Scott Merchant.

Everything looked normal at the team's banquet and then this happened where Sofran was fired.

Why I think Sofran to Farmington makes sense.

Farmington football was in turmoil last year under Bechtel going 2-7 in the process. Now Sofran and his family were very invested in the Birmingham Brother Rice, St. Regis, and Marian communities but he is in need of a fresh start.

The program over at Farmington is in shambles after last season. This program needs a top notch coach to not only to bring hope but respectability in the city of Farmington with North Farmington struggling and Harrison about to close in two years. The Falcons are in the Blue this season and is in need of a fresh start. This where Sofran comes in because of his track record and the fact that he had a 2-7 season at Birmingham Brother Rice in 2015 and turned that program around last season, taking them to the playoffs.

I think it would be justice if Sofran got the job at Farmington after what happened at Birmingham Brother Rice but will see if both sides are interested in each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.