Sunday, August 7, 2016

Football Coaching Changes at Media Day.

Written Sunday August 7th at 2:05 PM

Well there are three new coaches in the OAA this upcoming fall, if you include new Stoney Creek football coach Bob Lantzy but there are two other coaches whom came into the fold during Media Day and we will give you an introduction to both of them.

Avondale:

The Yellow Jackets named Ed Couturier as their new head coach. Couturier takes over for LaManzer Williams whom resigned three weeks ago due to other commitments. This will be the third head coach for the Avondale in seven months.

Couturier was an assistant at Avondale under Steve Deutsch whom resigned at the end of the 2015 season to family commitments and most recently an assistant under coach Jim DeWald at Seaholm.  He also coached at Waterford Mott for 14 years and has been coaching overall for 39 years.

He is also an assistant coach at Avondale for Track and Field.

Couturier will have a tough task in making the Yellow Jackets a playoff team in 2016. Avondale is 14-13 since 2012. 2012 was the last time the Yellow Jackets made the playoffs.

Couturier calls this job his dream job. He will run a triple option offense, which is something similar at Seaholm and will have the services of quarterback Chance Chatman along with running backs Anthony Moran and Vincent Wright. Avondale must address the defense but they have Derrick Hinton returning to fill that role.

Avondale will have a tough schedule as they open up on August 25th at New Boston Huron. The Chiefs destroyed the Yellow Jackets 49-6 last season in Auburn Hills.

Pontiac:

The Phoenix will have their third coach in five years as the Phoenix named John Thompson their new coach taking over for Pete Scott whom previously took over for the late John Lloyd in 2014.

Thompson comes from Detroit Central. He was a four year linebacker at Michigan and was a member of the 2003 All Dream team from the Detroit Free Press while he played at Detroit Crockett.

Detroit Central finished 6-4, winning the Detroit Public School League East II crown. They fell to Detroit University Prep 46-6 in the first round last season.

Pontiac finished 0-9 last season.

Pontiac returns some talented players in John Santana and Bryce O'Neill to rely upon this season. The Phoenix open up the season against Detroit Redford on August 25th at Wisner Stadium.

Thompson has repeatably said he wants to change the culture at Pontiac and teach the fundamentals of the game.

The Phoenix since coach Brad Zube left the program in 2011 is 2-33. Pontiac has not made the playoffs since 2011.

Thompson will have his hands full with his new team but it's something he hasn't done before. He will change the culture at Pontiac this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.