Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Dragons have their New Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Tuesday August 30th at 9:20 PM

The Orion Dragons have their new Girls Basketball coach but it’s a familiar face that is taking over the program.

The Dragons named Kevin Kopec the new coach on Tuesday succeeding long time coach Steve Roberts.

Kopec teaches American Government at Orion High School and graduated from Western Michigan University. He coached the Junior Varsity program for the Girls from 2006-2016 under Roberts. 

Before Kopec coached in the Girls program full time, he served as an assistant Boys Basketball freshman coach to coach Gary Parker, whom is now an assistant Boys Basketball coach at Troy from 2002-2005.

Kopec while as JV Girls coach had two 20-0 seasons and was 36-2 in the last two seasons overall in 2015 and in 2016.

Kopec returns some key players in Maddie Novak along with Tessa Nuss, Sophie Wyborski, and Delaney Bryce returning from a team that went 12-8 last season. The Dragons will be in the White division with Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak, Oxford, West Bloomfield, and Harrison this season. 

Orion will host a district this upcoming spring with Oxford, Clarkston, Pontiac, Waterford Kettering, and Waterford Mott.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.