Sunday, May 22, 2016

Crighton named Adams Boys Basketball Coach.

Written Sunday May 22nd at 11:05 PM

Well it looks like Brad Crighton is coming back to coaching.

Citing an accurate source with inside information, the Highlanders have named Crighton Boys Basketball coach replacing John Hall whom left for Almont a few weeks ago.

Crighton formally played at Adams as a shooting guard in the late 1980's. He was also a former Boys Basketball Junior Varsity Coach at Stoney Creek from 2002 until the 2006-2007 season when the seasons switched.

It is unknown whether Crighton would retain any of Hall's former staff at Adams.

The Highlanders finished third in the Red Divison with a 15-5 regular season record. Adams made some big strides in the playoffs behind Spencer Littleson, David Rinke, and Joey Zinni won their first district title since 2011 beating Stoney Creek. They would beat Brandon in the Regional Semifinals before losing to Macomb Dakota in the Regional Final last season.

Crighton is most known though in the High School ranks by coaching the Stoney Creek Varsity Girls Basketball team when Stoney Creek became a High School in 2002. He coached some really great players that have gone through the Cougars program. Some of which included the likes of Gabby Yurik, Maria Zandi, and Brittney Nelson.

Crighton won three straight district titles before unexpectedly resigning from Stoney Creek in 2016. Kellen James, the longtime assistant to Crighton, took over the Cougars last season posting a 15-5 record.

Stoney Creek hasn't looked back since Crighton left, winning their straight district crown.

James has kept the Cougars tradition going and is expecting to have a solid team led by Emily Solek and Ally Voss heading into next winter in the always tough and difficult Red Division.

Crighton teaches in district at Van Hoosen Middle School and Adams is only next door to where he teaches.

This is a great hire for Adams to bring back one of their own in Crighton. Crighton joins a list of former coaches whom have returned to coach or play at their own school. He joins Jim Manzo and Steve Roberts (Girls) at Orion, Dan Fife at Clarkston, Tom Staton at Ferndale, Tim Morton at Avondale, and Steve Laidlaw at Oxford.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest information on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.