Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Williams Named Yellow Jackets Football Coach.

Written Tuesday March 15th at 12:45 PM

Looks like Avondale found its new head football coach.

Former Ypsilanti football coach Lamanzer Williams was named head coach on Tuesday of the Yellow Jackets replacing longtime coach Steve Deutsch whom left for family reasons according to the Avondale Twitter Page.

Williams resigned from Ypsilanti after his job was cut in the district in November. He spent one season as Varsity coach and three as an assistant for the Grizzlies. Last season Ypsilanti finished 4-5 and shared the Southeastern Conference White Championship with Chelsea but will lose a lot of talent next season.

The biggest win Williams had last season was over Chelsea 34-24 whom was undefeated at the time.

Williams is currently the Dean at Detroit Jalen Rose Academy and is a 1993 Willow Run graduate. He spent four years at Minnesota for College Football and was an All-American as a Gopher. Williams has also played in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings for a few seasons before going into coaching. He was a sixth round draft pick in the 1998 NFL Draft.

Williams traveled from Detroit to Ypsilanti for practice and games, now he will travel from Detroit to Auburn Hills to coach football for the Yellow Jackets. It is unknown if Williams will get a job in district like he did in Ypsilanti before his job was cut.

It is likely that Williams will bring Rufus Pipkins (was head coach at Ypsilanti in 2013-2014 and assisted in 2015) with him to Auburn Hills as both he and Pipkins have great chemistry together. It is unknown if Williams will keep any of Deutsch's former coaches with him.

Avondale finished 4-5 last season and didn't make the playoffs for the third straight season. The Blue will be much tougher next season as Troy and Bloomfield Hills joins the division from the Red and Rochester from the White. The Yellow Jackets will open up at New Boston Huron in August.

2016 will for sure be different in Auburn Hills next season as Williams will bring in a different system, there will be a transition period that has to happen during the season and OAA is a much different animal than the Southeastern Conference but he'll be ready for the challenge.

Stay tuned to the blog and OAA Now for this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.