Saturday, November 7, 2015

OAA Volleyball Regional Preview.

Written Saturday November 7th at 10:35 AM



Note if Berkley did win at Southfield Lathrup then we will edit and preview Regional 4 at Grosse Pointe South.

The regional matchups are set so here they are affecting OAA Teams.

Regional 6 @ Warren Cousino

Troy Athens vs Sterling Heights Stevenson
Bloomfield Hills vs Grosse Pointe North

The Red Hawks are coming off a three game sweep over Warren Cousino and got another huge win in the district semifinals over Sterling Heights. Troy Athens has been rolling as of late led by Lauren Van Hoef, Danielle Stanichuk, Nya Rodriguez, Aliana Kirtland, Elise Leverenz, and Nicole Borkosh. The Red Hawks take on a Sterling Heights Stevenson team that has been red hot and is very young. The Titans beat Macomb L’Anse Creuse at Fraser in three sets on Friday night for their first district title since 2011. This will be an interesting matchup between these two teams and another stress test for Coach Christine Stanichuk.

The Blackhawks have been on cloud nine in the last few days with big wins over Birmingham Marian and a MONSTER upset of Birmingham Seaholm despite both games being at home but they must take it on the road to Warren. Grosse Pointe North has been playing very well in this district tournament and in the MAC Red. They swept Lakeshore in St. Clair Shores in the district final getting to this point. The Norseman are solid and will present a problem for Bloomfield Hills but the league the Blackhawks are in could help them in this match up. The question will be has Bloomfield Hills magic ran out or is it on for another day.

Regional 7 @ Romeo:

Utica Eisenhower vs Fenton
Orion vs Romeo

Orion and Romeo could be GAME of the YEAR in the State with the winner likely heading to Battle Creek. Romeo is the defending State Champs coming into the game. The Dragons have had the Bulldogs number this season in tournaments but the match being at Romeo and its low ceiling gym could be a huge factor in this game. If the Dragons can practice at the CERC or at Scripps then it could minimize the advantage that Romeo will have. Both Orion and Romeo have star players with Division One talent, the Bulldogs have Gia Milana who is heading to Maryland while the Dragons have Courtney Wightman who is heading to Oakland. The Dragons also know Milana personally as Natalie Wehner and Kori Varney both played with Milana on their National Championship AAU team and that could play a role in this contest. This match will come down to who knows the court and each other and also the mindset of each team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.