Wednesday, July 8, 2015

End of an Era at Harrison? It's possible.

Written Wednesday July 8th at 7:10 PM

Could it be an end of an era in Farmington?

There has been rumblings around the Farmington School district with it's school board considering closing one of it's three high schools in the next year or two after the school district's Building and Site Utilization Committee found that the community may be better off having two high schools and not three.

It seems like Harrison could be the odd school out even though they are the newer of the three Farmington high schools. Farmington opened up it's doors in 1950, North Farmington in 1961, and Harrison in 1970.

Oddly enough Harrison will have 1,218 students heading into the school year. North Farmington has 1,267 students while Farmington has the lowest of the three Farmington schools with 1,176 students.

John Herrington, the Hawks legendary football coach has been there for all of the time that Harrison has existed. The Hawks have won 13 State titles as a school with it's last one in Division Two in 2010 and have produced several players like Drew Stanton (Michigan State), Devin Funtchess (Michigan), Mark Dell (Michigan State), Mario Ojemima (Michigan), and recently Khalid Kareem (Alabama) to top notch college football programs and into the NFL.

It would be rough if Harrison were to close it's doors for good for the OAA. I hope the Farmington School District doesn't close a high school especially with how they are based in location and that the buildings can be used to teach high school students. Farmington is to the south, North Farmington is to the north, and Harrison is in the middle of Farmington.

It will be interesting to find out. This blog article will be updated once we get more information. Stay tuned to OAA Now for coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.