Wednesday, December 23, 2020

MHSAA announces Winter Sports Schedule.

Written Wednesday December 23rd at 7:45 PM

The MHSAA announced the winter schedule which would feature a very heavy packed March schedule on Wednesday.

The league announced that practices would resume on January 16th and competitions will start on January 22nd for basketball, hockey, bowling, and boys swimming and diving while cheer, wrestling, and gymnastics will began on January 25th.

The postseason tournaments for all winter sports concluding by March 27th.

It is still unknown when fall competitions will start up again but the remaining fall sports teams can start practicing on December 30th.

It is still unknown when the MHSAA would finish with fall sports but Uyl sounded optimistic in an email to athletic directors and school administrators “As we shared with you last Friday, the MDHHS (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services) created a rapid testing pilot program for the three remaining fall tournaments to finish in early to mid-January. Details on this program were first shared with the MHSAA and fall schools on December 22nd which created a number of questions and logistical issues. This is a new MDHHS program with details being created and shared daily with the MHSAA and this has created changes to tournament dates that were shared with the schools last Friday. We are continuing to work through the details, questions and issues with the involved fall schools and we will share finalized plans/dates soon” Uyl wrote in an email.

Under the epidemic order issued by MDHHS Director Robert Gordon and Governor Gretchen Whitmer the order banned indoor sports until January 15th but the order could be lifted earlier if coronavirus cases go down which they are doing so far in Michigan.

The order could also be extended which no one wants. The MHSAA would have backup plans just in case to address this situation.

Season limits remain unchanged for all winter sports however in hockey and wrestling there are some changes for this season only. In hockey they are allowed to play two games on one non-school day twice during the season. In wrestling teams and individuals are allowed two days of competition. All regular season wrestling competitions are limited to four teams with a max of three matches per day of competition.

It will be very interesting to see what happens. Let’s hope that things go well and things go smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.