Monday, August 24, 2020

Pontiac Schools Postpones Fall Sports.

Written Monday August 24th at 2:30 PM

Pontiac Schools has became the second OAA school not to hold fall sports this year.

Phoenix Athletic Director Lee Montgomery made the painful decision in a letter to the community.

Here is the message he wrote

"Dear Pontiac School District Athletes, and families,

The MHSAA has been working extensively with the governor's office and other entities across the state to determine the safest and best way to handle fall sports during the pandemic. At this time although a statewide decision has not been reached, Pontiac and our surrounding districts have been deemed as a region unsafe for fall sports competitions.

Although this is saddening news for all of us, the safety of our athletes, staff, families, and competitors is imperative for all of us. We will be adhering to the MHSAA guidelines as will our fellow competing districts and will not be pursuing a fall season. Our hope is that we can revisit these sports in the spring.

The decision to not hold fall sports was not an easy one but it's the right decision at this time. In addition to the MHSAA determination there are a number of factors that have to be considered. The risk of catching the virus is high in sports settings, we do not have approval from the governor's office to practice in gymnasiums yet, with schools beginning virtually many athletes will not have access to transportation to and from practice and other districts cancelling fall sports directly impacts our ability to compete

Should circumstances change we'll let you know. We will continue to provide resources and tools for our athletes to continue conditioning and to prepare for a possibility for a sports season in the spring.

Thank you for continuing to show us all what it means to be a Phoenix and continuing to rise in any situation. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me."

Pontiac joins Ferndale as the other OAA school not to hold fall sports.

Thoughts

There is a mental component to this which safety is paramount but the mental mindset will certainly be tested. I have said this before, I really hope they have a plan in place for the mental and emotional side to postponing fall sports.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.