Sunday, July 19, 2020

MHSAA makes decision.

Written Sunday July 19th at 10:10 PM

So the MHSAA made a big decision on Friday afternoon.

The league announced that they will not change seasons meaning that fall sports will proceed in the fall however there will be contingency plans in place if there are possible interruptions because of the coronavirus.

The move by the MHSAA means that they will proceed as schedule and go against Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s recommendation that fall and spring sports switch.

Whitmer recommended the MHSAA switch in a June 30th press conference but according to the league they decided that switching the seasons was not feasible.

If the MHSAA cannot have fall sports in the fall then they have a plan to move them to 2021 and it is likely that the season could end in July.

Michigan right now is in Phase Four of Whitmer’s Return to School and Economic plan but with cases rising in the State Whitmer has said that the State could return to Phase Three which means all athletics are suspended and schools go to remote learning which nobody wants.

The MHSAA will meet again on July 29th.

Thoughts

I think it’s dangerous what the MHSAA is doing in wake of seeing the cases rise but the kids want to play that’s the bottom line.

For this to work, students need to be in school although if schools go to a hybrid model it can also be done as well. I still believe you can have low risk sports in Phase Three even though schools would go to remote learning but that’s my opinion.

The worst case scenario is if this issue becomes political very similar to schools. Nobody wants to see that happen.

Let the kids play that’s the bottom line.

My Podcast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.