Monday, April 6, 2020

OAA adds Ferndale University.

Written Monday April 6th at 12:10 PM

The OAA will be expanding in the short term according to a source.

Citing to an accurate source the league will accept Ferndale University effective this fall.

The Rising Eagles are in the same school district as Ferndale which will help accommodate the smaller schools like Berkley, Ferndale, Oak Park, Avondale, Pontiac, and Royal Oak.

It doesn’t help from a football standpoint since Ferndale and Ferndale University are a Co-Op squad in the fall.

Ferndale University brings basketball, volleyball, cross country, track and field, and boys soccer according to the MHSAA website.

The Rising Eagles Boys Basketball program earned a district title in 2013. They went 8-7 last season but lost 92-37 to Ferndale in the Division Two district semifinals. The Girls Basketball program went 11-5 and made some noise in the postseason by beating Detroit Osborn 56-26 in the pre-district but fell 52-36 to Warren Lincoln in the Division Two district semifinals.

Ferndale University Co-Op's with Ferndale in girls soccer, baseball, golf, softball, tennis, and football as mentioned.

This is something that Ferndale has cherished since Ferndale University with 463 students is part of the Ferndale School District.

Thoughts

I think this move to bring Ferndale University into the league pleases the smaller schools. I don’t know if this benefits the bigger schools especially with scheduling and it certainly doesn’t help from a football standpoint. I know this move will please the smaller schools and Ferndale University will no longer be an independent.

It will be very interesting how the bigger schools respond to this announcement.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest developments on this story.

LO Cares Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/lo-cares-podcast0-6-18-20

2 comments:

  1. Why doesn't Clarkston orion and Oxford leave and make own conference with the likes on GB, Lapeer, Davison, Carman etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't answer the question on the blog please email me at samsdragons@yahoo.com please.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.