Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Girls Basketball Thoughts.

Written Wednesday December 16th at 11:45 AM

The season is underway and we are starting to get a good idea what teams will look like as we head into 2016. Here are my Top five thoughts for Girls Basketball.

1. What is Going on at Lathrup???

The Chargers were coming in with lofty expectations but losing two straight games doesn't help the cause despite it being against good teams. Lathrup lost to Grand Rapids Catholic Central (69-62) and Bay City John Glenn (53-44) by a combined 16 points. They have tough games coming up with Ann Arbor Huron and Waterford Kettering before opening Red play with Stoney Creek. Talk about irony for the Chargers.

2. What is Going on with Adams???

The addition of Taylor Smith from Linden is starting not to look good for coach Shay Lewis and her team. The Highlanders started the season at 1-3 with losses to Macomb Dakota (54-45), Stoney Creek (50-28), and Howell (66-38). Now given that all of them are very good teams, its odd to see that Adams is struggling like this before we head into January. They do play Warren Cousino at the Palace on Wednesday and Royal Oak Shrine in the Rochester Holiday Classic on December 28th. Their league play start is brutal in January as they have to play Lathrup and Clarkston in a span of one week.

3. Orion and North Farmington will be FINE.

The Dragons sit 3-2 right now with a tough road game coming up at Lapeer on Thursday. Orion's only two losses to Clarkston (60-52) and Stoney Creek (55-53) were by a combined 10 points to two teams that are a combined 10-0 so far in the season. North Farmington sits at 3-1 with it's only loss came to Harrison (57-41) but they have Clarkston on Wednesday and Lansing Everett in the Motor City Roundball Classic coming up. I think both the Dragons and Raiders have played more brutal non conference schedules than Bloomfield Hills whom is projected to win the White. The Blackhawks sit at 5-0 right now and had to survive Milford, South Lyon East, and Berkley. Bloomfield Hills will get tested again in their own Holiday Tournament as they play Chandler Park Academy on December 22nd.

4. Southfield will make some noise.

In the last year of the school at Southfield, Blue Jays coach Jamie Ginez's team hopes to go out with a bang. Southfield sits at 4-0 and will be favored in every game until January 30th when they get a visit from Lathrup. Their toughest challenger in the Blue will be Seaholm. The Maples had a tough one point loss to Waterford Mott (36-35) early in the season and with their two top players in Mackenzie Harbort and Dana Hollerman along with the emergence of Caroline Owens, Seaholm will threaten Southfield. Expect the Blue Jays will make noise in the Blue and could even ruin someone's playoff dreams.

5. Avondale in Trouble???

The Yellow Jackets were a team that I kept an eye on, I thought they would make the next big jump with their experienced size back in Addie Saltarelli and Alissa Smith and Toya Golden at small forward but Avondale has not been competitive and it has been showing as they sit 0-4 with all their losses being blowouts. The Yellow Jackets must fix this or they are in trouble and they have West Bloomfield and Orion coming up, those will be tough games for Avondale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.