Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Vikings will move down back to Class B.

Written Wednesday April 1st, at 12:10 PM

The MHSAA has made some changes to the next school year for some schools due to enrollment. One OAA team will move back to Class B for tournament play starting next season.

The Hazel Park Vikings will rejoin the Ferndale Eagles as the only two OAA teams that are in Class B.

Hazel Park is one of five teams that were in Class A to make the move down to Class B. The other schools going down to Class B are Stevensville Lakeshore, Fruitport, Sault Area, and Detroit Mumford.

Teams that moved up to Class A are Sturgis, South Lyon East, Haslett, Parma Western, and Jackson Northwest

It is also possible that Hazel Park could return in a messed up district for the volleyball and basketball tournaments in which they feature teams from Macomb County in Warren Fitzgerald and some Detroit area schools as well, including a team that went to the State Finals in Detroit Henry Ford.

Hazel Park was in the Warren district this season in Class A with Warren De Lassale, Warren Cousino, Warren Mott, and Warren Woods Tower.

With the move down to Class B, it could help an improving Vikings boys basketball team that returns three starters from a team that almost won the Gold last season, knowing that they can compete with some of the best in the state. Volleyball and girls basketball were down seasons for the Vikings.

The rest of the OAA will all be in Class A.

The enrollment breakdown according to the MHSAA and the Detroit Free Press

Class A (875 students or more) =187 schools
Class B (420-874 students)=187 schools
Class C (213-419 students)=188 schools
Class D (212 students or less)=188 schools

We'll see what the move happens and when the districts are released in June, its possible the Vikings could make an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.